This post is Part 3 of our Spring Cleaning Series.
Let’s move on to the main living and dining areas. You probably have large furniture items that have sat all winter gathering dust bunnies underneath, and books and knick-knacks that could use a good cleaning… So, now is the time to move some stuff around and get things spiffy.
- Wash walls and baseboards with a sponge and warm, lightly soapy water.
- Move the large furniture and vacuum up the dust bunnies and cobwebs.
- Remove the cushions on your sofa and vacuum under them. Be on the look-out for loose change and lost cellphone chargers!
- Take down curtains and wash them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Take down blinds and dust them down then wipe them off with a damp sponge. It is probably a good idea to do this outside.
- Clean your windows and window sills. I hope you cleaned the outside of the windows first as I discussed earlier or you will just get frustrated.
- Clean your hanging light fixtures. Use a vacuum with a brush attachment to get the bulk of the dust then gently wipe things down with a cleaning cloth.
- Dust knick-knacks, lamps, hanging art, and books on the shelf. Try not to break anything.
- If you have a glassware hutch or buffet table in your dining room, make sure your dishes are clean and the shelves and drawers are cleaned and clutter free.
- After wiping off all of your wooden furniture, take the time to use some decent furniture polish to shine things up!
- If you have a carpet/upholstery shampoo machine or are willing to rent one, shampoo your carpets and/or area rugs. Then move on to your sofa and other upholstered furniture. They’ll look like new!
- Clean A/C filters and ceiling fans. If you have centralize heat and air, check your filters and see if they need replacing. They probably do.
- Check the batteries in your smoke/carbon monoxide detectors.
- If you have hardwood floors, see the section on cleaning your kitchen to get the low-down on cleaning hardwood floors properly.
Download our Spring Cleaning Living and Dining Areas Checklist in PDF format to help you get started!
Tune in next week for Part Four of our Spring Cleaning series: Closets and Bathrooms.